Student Dress Code
The District’s dress code is established to encourage modesty, instill discipline, prevent disruption, avoid safety hazards, and teach respect for authority. This dress code shall apply to all students registered in the Iola Independent School District (Iola ISD) whenever they are at school or are attending or participating in school related activities.
- BOYS: All shirts should be buttoned appropriately. Tailored shirts must be tucked in. No tank tops or sleeveless shirts. Clothing will be appropriately sized and may not be worn in any way that reflects gang affiliation or conceals contraband. Mesh or see-through shirts are unacceptable, unless worn over an acceptable garment. T-shirts may be worn outside of the pants, but not longer than the student's wrists. Oversized baggy clothing such as pants, shorts, or tops is prohibited.
- GIRLS: Shirts –No sleeveless garments, tight or stretch tops, low necklines, tank tops, spaghetti straps, halter tops, or tube tops shall be worn. Tops must be long enough to stay tucked in; or, if worn over pants, must be long enough so that at no time will the midriff be exposed. Proper undergarments shall be worn under all clothing.
- No advertisement for alcoholic beverages, tobacco or tobacco-related products, drugs or drug related products, suggestive or obscene writing, gang affiliation or pictures on clothing or bandannas are allowed as part of the dress code. Any item of clothing or accessories, with inappropriate decorations or advertisements, is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, any item that depicts the occult, gang membership, death, suicide, violence, sexual connotations, tobacco, drugs, or alcohol. This includes hats, shirts, jackets, pants, bandannas, buttons, or trademark emblems generally associated 8 with the above. Symbols and/or styles which are associated with gang membership or representation shall NOT be allowed.
- Dresses, skirts, or shorts- for students in grades 3-12, dresses, skirts, or shorts must be no shorter than 3” above the top of the kneecap to be worn in school or to school-related activities. Dresses, skirts, or shorts of students in PK-2 must extend to mid-thigh or below.
- Stretch or tight pants, hostess or lounge type suits, clinging see-through material, clinging sweater knits, body suits, and over-sized baggy clothing are not acceptable. Pants are to be worn at the waistline, not on the hips. Pants, skirts, or jumpers shall be appropriately sized. Pants and shorts MUST fit at the waist, fit at the crotch, and be properly hemmed or cuffed. Shorts may be worn, but MUST meet the following standards: - Must be appropriately sized; no tight fitting or extremely baggy shorts are allowed. - Must be hemmed or cuffed (not frayed). Rolling of the cuff to circumvent the dress code is NOT allowed. - Must be no shorter than 3” above the top of the kneecap.
- Shoes shall be worn at all times. No house shoes are permitted. Students must wear tennis shoes during their participation in physical education unless otherwise instructed by the teacher.
- Hats are not allowed to be worn at school during the school day. This includes hoodies. Hoodies are not to be pulled onto the head inside the building during school hours.
- Hair is to be neatly trimmed and combed and kept out of the eyes. No extreme hairstyles are accepted. No rollers or hair picks are allowed in the hair. afro hairstyles are to be worn no longer than four (4) inches. Boy’s hair must not touch the collar (neck band) of a T-shirt.
- Hair must be of a natural color. (No neon or extreme colors, this includes, but not limited to, blue, pink, maroon, etc.) These colors are also excluded from highlights in the hair.
- Sideburns must be neatly trimmed and no lower than the bottom of the ear lobe.
- Students should have a clean-shaven face at all times.
- Sunglasses or non-prescription glasses of any type will not be worn without approval inside any building.
- Sleepwear, such as pajama pants, is not allowed.
- Students will be prohibited from wearing bottoms which have lettering/logos across the back of the seat.
- Holes in jeans – anywhere on the jean – are not permitted.
- No earrings may be worn by male students.
- No gauge style piercings may be worn by male or female students.
- Wallet chains or any type of chains are not permitted to be worn or possessed.
- Any fad or dress type that may be disruptive or immodest may be corrected at the discretion of the school administrator, including ornaments that are a result of body piercing, such as the piercing of the tongue, midriff, lip, eyebrow, nose, etc.
- Tattoos or body markings must be covered at all times.
Students who are in violation of the dress code will be provided an alternative garment to wear for the rest of the school day or until appropriate dress is acquired. The campus administrator will identify any exceptions to this dress code.